Thursday, April 12, 2007

A steady day.... at least thats what I told Matt :)

So yesterday we decided to do a bit of shopping and have a bit easier day (also could be read as we couldn't decide what to do :) ). Having tried to take some pictures of the Sydney skyline while we were here I was finding that the lenses I had for my camera just weren't giving me a wide enough view to do what I wanted to do, so off to the camera shop(s) we went.... all 8 of them, until I was satisfied that we had found a good price (comes from having a father that likes a bargain I think). Are you proud of me Dad? ;)

At the first of the camera shops we went into I tested a couple of different lenses to see what the pictures were like and pretty much decided which one I wanted straight away. Having found the lens I liked and found a good price we decided it was worth going back to the hotel to check the Internet to make sure the lens was a good lens, and that we couldn't buy it cheaper at home or anywhere on the Internet.

Sorted all that out and back to the shops we went. I have to admit I am a terribly bad influence when it comes to spending money (get that one from my Mother :) ) and so poor old Matt (he is now :) ) ended up buying not only the same lens, but a nice new camera to go with it :). Who needs a car with an engine anyway ;) (For those who don't understand what I'm on about Matts engine in his Evo blew up a few weeks before we came away..... lets just say a new one isn't cheap!).

That pretty much took up most of the day so we decided to put the new equipment to the test that evening and get some night time pictures of the city. For those who haven't had the pleasure of visiting Sydney at night I can't begin to describe how amazing it looks. By day it's not bad, but as night falls it really does just become something else. It must have been an hour or so before dark, so a couple of beers were in order to pass the time. We had our first beer then nipped back to the hotel to sort out what we needed to take with us for the evening. It was at this point I realised my lens hood from another camera lens was missing.... Oh bugger. I mentioned it to Matt and he said he remembered the guy at the shop where we tried the lenses struggling to get a hood to fit a lens, then sticking it back in the box anyway. A quick march back to the shop and after a little suspicion from another shop attendant about the validity of my claim he checked the case and sure enough there it was.

Another swift beer required!

Darkness started to close on the city, so we headed off to the far side of the harbour bridge to take some pics. We must have spent about an hour over there before finally catching the ferry back to Darling Harbour. You can see some of the results of the efforts here:










Now your probably wondering why I rabbled on with so many details as I have. Two reasons really. Firstly we didn't actually do that much yesterday so there isn't all that much to talk about. Secondly would be the walking.... Any of you who have ever been out walking anywhere with me would know that I'm not bothered in the least by walking to places and I tend to do it at a fair old pace.... So yesterday we went round the shops, back to the hotel, back to the shops, back to the hotel, back to the shops, up and over the harbour bridge... I'm sure your getting the idea it wasn't a short walk :). Matt does NOT love walking and I'm sure you will hear some of his complaints to this effect in the very near future.... He did well though to be fair to him... I think it was the promise that we could go for a beer and a curry at the end that kept him going.

Shame that by the time we got to the curry house at 9:45 they had stopped serving... What sort of curry house stops serving at that time I ask you!

We are currently trying to decide what to do for the coming days and have a few ideas. We are considering the idea of seeing some sort of performance at the Opera House (yes I said Opera House - stop laughing!) and also a trip out Sea Fishing, and maybe a trip to Hunter Valley to try / buy some wine :).

There is also talk of leaving Sydney for a few days next week, maybe heading up to Cairns to go see the Barrier Reef and the whit sundays, or a few other bits, or possibly to Alice Springs to check that out. If any of the Ozzies reading this have any ideas of places that are worth a look then please shout up.

Right enough for me for one day. Hope everyone is well.

Oh... ps... did I mention it's still about 26 degrees? :D

No comments: